EnterpriseDB vs. Postgres: Availability, DR, Security, & Performance
EnterpriseDB vs. Postgres: What Are The Differences?
EnterpriseDB vs. Postgres is more equally comparable than one may think. Many organizations choose to utilize EnterpriseDB for the support that comes with it. So why choose Postgres options? This blog uncovers the alternative community solutions that empower greater innovation for organizations. We'll look at how each solution achieves high availability, disaster recovery, enhanced security, and performance optimization.
The EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager provides best-in-class tooling for the management of wide distributions of Postgres databases. There is are numerous features included. On the community side, there are several options are available, the most common ones are:
- Bucardo: A popular asynchronous and multi-master solution for replication backed by a very well-respected Postgres community.
- PGPool-II: One of the oldest and most mature solutions for HA with Postgres, PGPool takes a database connection pooling approach and creates a pool of highly available connections to Postgres
The EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager provides a complete HA and DR solution including replication and disaster recovery. For community, both PGPool and Bucardo can be thought of as solutions as well because they provide for replication.
The EnterpriseDB platform provides additional security on top of what is already considered to be one of the most secure databases in the world, i.e. Postgres. This includes enhanced data auditing, benchmark-specific standards like FIPS, additional SQL injection protection, and Row-Level Access Control. Out of the box, Postgres provides native authentication and authorization through standard configuration, as well as native TLS. Numerous free community libraries exist which can improve the already robust nature of Postgres’s security, such as:
- Sepgsql: Very interesting project which allows strict control over Postgres resources, yes, table-level resources, using SELinux.
- Pgaudit: This project extends Postgres’s existing logging to provide much more verbose details about the current Postgres session.
The EnterpriseDB platform along with the Enterprise Manager provide a number of optimizations including:
- Query Optimizer Hints: Allows fine-grained control over the way the query engine plans iteration with the database.
- Session Diagnostics: Additional metrics available to clients regarding the health and performance of the database session.
- Analytics: Canned and calculated metrics giving further visibility into the health of the database engine.
As with any database, performance optimization is a tremendous subject. Beyond facilities that are specific to Postgres, optimization of every layer of the stack should be involved when optimizing a database. This includes storage, network, client code, etc. As far as Postgres-specific solutions, the community provides many, including:
- pgBadger: A deceptively comprehensive dashboard-driven tool for optimizing Postgres across the board.
- Standard Config Options: Postgres core contains same optimization flags as EnterpriseDB including checkpoint_segments and maintenance_work_mem.
How to Choose Between Enterprise DB vs. Postgres
After discussing the functionalities met within Enterprise DB and other solutions, there isn't anything (with the exception of the Oracle compatibility later in EDB) that can't also be replaced or found in some other open source tool or utility. The main reason people buy Enterprise DB is for support. Instead of choosing a restrictive licensing and segmented support, you could be utilizing a service like OpenLogic by Perforce.
OpenLogic delivers comprehensive support services for open source software, so that your teams can enjoy the benefits of using open source — and confidently meet your requirements including compliance with regulations.
Connect with one of our open source experts or try our OpenLogic Stack Builder tool! Our open source stack builder tool allows you to navigate your software stack with free, expert guidance along the way. Receive a custom report and framework for your OSS technology.